Breath of Fire 2 for GBA— Downloads
Download the Breath of Fire 2 GBA— Fresh Fire mod
- Breath of Fire 2 for Game Boy Advance— Breath of Fresh Fire mod version 1.0, Revision 1 (14.5 KB) — Released December 29th, 2011. Downloaded 0 times
- Breath of Fire 2 for Game Boy Advance— Breath of Fresh Fire mod version 1.0 (14.1 KB) — Released March 24th, 2011. Downloaded 579 times
The aim of this mod is simply to create a fresh Breath of Fire 2 experience, and to allow for more liberal use of Dragon powers.
Version 1.0, Rev. 1 Changelog
- Sten has been given the use of the Warp spell, so players may avoid some needless backtracking early in the campaign.
Version 1.0 Changelog
- Spells are modified, especially their AP costs, names, and damage done.
- Every character casts different spells, and some have different starting spells as well.
- Starting stats, and level up progressions for all characters, including Bleu have been meticulously reworked. Some of the characters will play much differently than stock Breath of Fire 2, making your strategies different.
- Items have been renamed (no 2 character demarcation at the end of each item). This allowed for 8 characters for each item name (6 for stackable items). There are numerous items with different properties, and almost all non-equipable items are stackable.
- Dragon Magic has been significantly changed. No more zero-ing out of the Dragonbrood's AP when using Dragon abilities! They have been given an AP cost, and do damage based off of hero level (not AP remaining).
- Fixed a bug in the original code that prevented the Dragon abilities (Fire, Ice and Thunder Dragon) from inflicting damage according to their elemental classification.
- I have meticulously realigned the Shaman combo system. The Holy and Devil shamans are more powerful on their own. In face, a bug in the original code (namely, Luck was not affected as it should have been) meant that the Holy shaman by itself was worthless. I bypassed this by allowing the Holy Shaman to increase other attributes. I have also added new Shaman combos. I may post the new Shaman Combo list as time permits. For now, I'll leave you with this teaser... Nina + Fire + Water... is very powerful!
- The "Special" message when character's critically hit monsters always annoyed me. It has been changed to "Smoked!"
- Of course, to compensate for the various nifty new powers your characters have, your enemies' power had to be increased proportionally. To keep things interesting.
The following applies this and all future releases of the Breath of Fresh Fire mod.
- First of all, you will need to obtain a clean GBA ROM of Breath of Fire 2. You are on your own for this step, as it is illegal to provide ROMs of copyrighted material. There are sites that do provide this ROM though, and you should be able to obtain it.
- The ROM title that you are looking for is "0510 - Breath of Fire II (E).gba". This patch does not work with the "0403 - Breath of Fire II (U).gba" ROM.
- When you get it, make a backup of it if you would want to play the vanilla version (or, in case I post an updated version of the mod here... I am not going to make version 1.0 to "version whatever" patches for my mods, for instance).
- Download the Breath of Fresh Fire mod.
- Use the IPS patching program of your choice to apply the .ips patch to the correct ROM. As I use IPS XP to create my patches, I recommend using this program to patch your ROM.
- I hope you enjoy it!
Praise and Feedback for Breath of Fresh Fire 2
Just wanted to tell you that I loved the changes you made in this patch! I was curious if you were planning on adding in the Retranslation that was made for this game by another modder (for the SNES version). Trying to figure out a way to create the definitive version of this game!
Jeff, I had a lot of fun with this mod to the original game, and I definitely think it made the whole experience better by improving the not so popular or useful characters. I just wanted to thank you for your work on this and drop some notes of interest on what I think of it. Kudos to making more equipment available to Rand, more shaman combinations with useful results across the board, and adjusting Nina so that she's not totally outclassed by Bleu. Jean in my playthrough was honestly about as useful as the Hero, of great surprise and joy to me. I'll definitely look into another one of your projects to play through when I have more free time, I'm looking at the Final Fantasy 5 one in particular!
Hey Jeff. Your Breath of Fire fresh mod looks really cool. I never liked how certain characters (mainly Jean and Spar) were basically useless like Mogu on BOF1. Bosch also seems to get weak near the tail end of the game. Anyway I like the changes and I'm definitely gonna play BOF2 with your mod... Well I want to thanks again Jeff. I like what you've done.
— Niel Pratt
Hey, I'm really interested in playing BoF II with your mod applied since it has always needed a good re-balancing. It seems from your changelog that you've made some excellent changes. This is probably a silly question because I don't know how difficult it is to modify the game, but I was wondering if it would be possible for you to port your changes over to the SNES version. It's a shame that the experience of playing the game with your mod is brought down somewhat by the mangled music and graphics of the GBA version, as well as the inability to make use of the incredible SNES re-translation. In any case, thank you for you work towards making this great game reach its potential!
The content in this portion of the website pertains to "software" known as "Breath of Fire 2", which was developed by Capcom, and published by Capcom (SNES release) and later licensed for a remake to the GBA which was published by Ubisoft. The Fresh Fire mod is completely unofficial, and was an amateur fan-made undertaking. I respect the intellectual property of Capcom and Ubisoft, and under no circumstances will I distribute the ROMs for the GBA versions of Breath of Fire 2. The patch available for download is a derivative work and is completely my own. It is offered totally free of charge.